Sophie Busby selected for the Swim England National Development Programme
Congratulations to Sophie Busby for being selected as one of the 430 young swimmers selected for Swim England National Development Programme learning and engagement day.
The National Development Programme is the third step on the Swim England Extended Talent Pathway – but the first on the national framework.
The England Talent Swimming team are charged with two main goals:
- Identifying the most talented young open water and pool swimmers in England as a person, athlete and performer.
- Creating a culture that is safe and positive where athletes are at the centre of all activities to support future podium success.
Sophie and the other 13 and 14-year-olds picked will join a day of online workshops covering ‘Loving Race Day’, sleep recovery and injury prevention.
A dry land conditioning session will also emphasise mobility and stability to enhance the anti-rotational / rotational strokes and streamlining.
Sophie and all the swimmers were chosen using the new adjusted selection guidelines introduced for the 2020-21 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.
England Talent Swimming involves four stages of swimmer development for athletes aged from 11 to 19.
The four stages are designed to help swimmers reach their maximum potential as a swimmer and eventually step up onto British Swimming’s World Class Pathway, where Sophie could become a funded athlete.
The four stages are:
- Swim England Development Programme
- Swim England National Event Camps
- Swim England Junior Squad
- Swim England Performance Squad